We all remember fun times in the sun as kids, and we may also remember the dreadful moment when our parents would ask us to put sunscreen on. It did not always smell good, it did not always feel good and you certainly did not want to ‘reapply’!
Fast forward to today, and thankfully, those dreadful ‘sunscream’ days are over. Why? Because dermatologists have worked hard to develop formulas that blend in smoothly, feel great to wear, are safe for people and for the environment!
It’s so important to teach our kids that sun protection should be part of our daily routine, just like brushing your teeth.
Here is a checklist to help you choose the right sunscreen for your child:
- The first and most important thing is that babies under the age of 6 months should stay out of the sun because their skin is highly sensitive. Sun protective clothing and shade structures are the best way to safeguard infants according to the Skin Cancer Foundation.
- For babies and kids over 6 months, make sure you use a Sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher for everyday use, and SPF 30 or higher for a day outdoors.
- Make sure to select a Broad-Spectrum sunscreen that will block both UVA and UVB rays.
- Check whether your sunscreen is water resistant, and for how long.
- Apply sunscreen 30 minutes prior to going outdoors and reapply every 2 hours or after swimming and towel drying.
- Apply on all exposed skin, face and body. Remember to also apply a lip protection with SPF, we often forget to protect our lips.
- Be generous, you should use the equivalent of a shot glass on an adult’s body for each application. Obviously, adjust the quantity according to the size of your child!
Of course, we are partial to KidCreme when it comes to little ones… here’s what one happy parent had to say about it:
“Here is what I LOVE about this sunscreen
1) NO funny smell
2) Kids actually willing to put on sunscreen on themselves
3) ... It’s easy to put on; and their face, arm and leg are not left with white residue.
4) ... It’s almost as if this is a combo of moisturizer and sunscreen.
If you kids are like mine, who hates sunscreen. This is definitely something to try out”
We could not have said it better. Let’s recap and see why it checks all the boxes:
- Kidcreme is unscented, no unpleasant sunscreen smell, no synthetic fragrances.
- It’s creamy, easy to apply and goes on silky smooth.
- It’s made with non-Nano zinc oxide which blends instantly and easily onto skin, no white cast.
- It’s a Broad-Spectrum sunscreen with SPF 40.
- Because it’s a mineral formula, it will not sting your child’s eyes.
- It contains Vitamin E and antioxidants (cranberry and pomegranate extracts)
- Formula is reef safe, which means it does not contain Oxybenzone or Octinoxate, two ingredients known to damage the reef. (You can bring it to Hawaii with you if you are lucky enough to visit!)
- All MDSolarSciences formulas are cruelty free.
- KidCreme is safe for all skin types, even the most sensitive, acne or rosacea prone skin.
Regardless of where you spend the summer, make sure you help protect your little ones’ skin and show them how to develop good sun habits for the future.
Have a great summer and stay safe!
If you have any questions, reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We love to hear from you and are happy to answer any questions about our products. And tag us on social channels @mdsolarciences.