There’s no right or wrong when it comes to wearing sunscreen. What works for you might not work for someone else. What DOES matter though is that you find a sunscreen that you like to wear, is easy to apply and WILL wear on a daily basis. Mineral sunscreen is definitely a fan favorite. In today's blog, we help you understand the difference between mineral and chemical filters.
What is mineral SPF? What are the benefits of wearing it? And how to find the best mineral sunscreen formulas?
We answer all your burning questions below to help you find the best sunscreen/SPF for you!
What is mineral sunscreen?
Mineral sunscreen is a physical sun 'screen' , made from active ingredients zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide, that sits on skin’s surface to prevent harmful UV rays from penetrating. It works by absorbing approximately 95% of the UV rays, while reflecting back 5%.
What is chemical sunscreen?
Chemical sunscreen gets absorbed into the skin. Once the UV light is absorbed into the skin, the chemicals in the sunscreen ( i.e. oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, and octinoxate) react to absorb UV rays and convert them into energy before they can be harmful to the skin.
How can I tell if my sunscreen is 100% mineral?
If a sunscreen is truly 100% mineral, it can only contain 2 possible active ingredients: zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Because sunscreen is considered an over-the-counter medication, these two ingredients must be labeled as active ingredients at the top of the ingredient list. So make sure to read the label before purchasing so you’re 100% sure!
What are the benefits of wearing mineral sunscreen?
When it comes to mineral sunscreen, these are the main benefits people love:
● Naturally provides broad-spectrum protection (UVA + UVB) – Mineral sunscreens inherently protect against both UVA (aging) and UVB (burning) rays, protecting both the surface level and deeper levels of your skin.
● Ideal for sensitive skin types – Mineral sunscreens do not absorb into the skin, so there’s less chance for irritation. This makes it ideal for all skin types, including sensitive skin, acne-prone skin, anyone with Melasma and even babies and children. It's often recommended by board certified dermatologists as part of a sensitive skincare routine.
● Kinder to the environment – Unlike some sunscreens that use oxybenzone or octinoxate (commonly-used chemical sunscreen filters that contribute to coral reef bleaching), the main active ingredients in 100% mineral sunscreens are completely reef-safe.
● Starts protecting skin immediately – Because it’s a physical sunscreen that sits on the surface of skin, it begins protecting skin the moment you put it on. No need to wait 20-30 minutes for it to activate!
● Wears well over makeup – Again, because it doesn’t absorb into the skin, mineral sunscreen is ideal for reapplying over makeup throughout the day. Especially if you use a super blendable, “invisible” formula like ours that does not leave a white cast behind (we’ll get to that later!)
What are the benefits of wearing chemical sunscreen?
Chemical suncreen is as effective as mineral sunscreen in protecting your skin from the sun's rays:
● With the right combination of chemical filters, formulas can protect against both UVA and UVB rays. Make sure your sunscreen carries that mention, like our Daily Perfecting Moisturizer.
● Another difference is that most chemical sunscreens blend faster into the skin than mineral sunscreen, leaving no white cast regardless of your skin tone. Ou mineral formulas are formulated to also blend in as seamlessly as possible, but it's common to see mineral sunscreens that leave more of a white cast. Not all mineral sunscreens are created equal!
Does sunscreen expire?
Yes, it absolutely does, both mineral and chemical SPF expire. Make sure you check the expiration date on your sunscreen carton or tube. Using expired sunscreen can result in a higher chance for burns and skin cancer, or the appearance of hyperpigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles.
What makes MDSolarSciences’ mineral formulas unique
As an award-winning dermatologist-developed brand, our mineral formulas are a far cry from the sticky, goopy, unblendable SPFs that plague your childhood memories. Instead, our team mastered a formula that feels luxuriously creamy and blends effortlessly into all skin tones (no white cast!) for protection that is *actually* wearable on a daily basis and inclusive for everyone. Plus, we use sustainable, naturally-derived Ecocert zinc oxide for safer protection.
What also sets us apart? Our formulas (both mineral and chemical) contain a proprietary combination of cutting-edge antioxidants, calming and repair complexes combined with smart, clean, effective ingredients. These complexes deliver unique and relevant anti-aging and restorative benefits that, over time, will improve the quality of your skin.
Our formulas are also unique because of what we don't put in them. They are cruelty-free, vegan, and reef-safe, with ingredients sourced sustainably. They come in fully recyclable packaging. All of which has earned us high rankings by the Environmental Working Group and a recommendation seal by the Skin Cancer Foundation.
MDSolarSciences is not your average SPF skincare – try these derm-developed formulas for results you’ll obsess over and love to wear!
Check out our most-loved 100% mineral and chemical formulas below!
BEST MINERAL SPF FOR FACE
MD Mineral BB Crème SPF 50 (in light, medium or dark)
Solar Stick SPF 40 (tinted and natural options)
BEST MINERAL SPF FOR BODY
BEST MINERAL SPF FOR KIDS
BEST DAILY FACE MOISTURIZER WITH SPF
Send us your questions at email@example.com, we would love to help you find the perfect SPF for your skin needs.